El Grullense
1175 E Julian St # 5


Some of you might be saying, "It's about time!" Others may wonder why. El Grullense is like the 7-11 of Taquerias in San Jose. They're everywhere, literally. There is about 3 or 4 (maybe more) within a 5 minute drive from my house. El Grullense (or El Grullo as many have dubbed it) has been around for as long as I can remember. Does anyone know what a Grullense is? Last name maybe? I've eaten at a few of them during my lifetime. Today I will review just one.

This Grullense sits in a lil shopping center on Julian and 24th, right next to San Jose High School. This one has been there for a while too, not sure how long though. I came here for the sake of the blog. I already know where my money will be well spent, but I like to live dangerously.

I walk up and order my usual...1 Taco de Asada, and 1 Taco de Lengua. Before I could walk into the spot, I got a call from my daughter...she wanted me to pick her up, so I took my Tacos to go. I took Bistro's advice and asked for the salsa to be put on the side, "please". (remember your pleases and thank yous people, you'd be surprised how far being simply courteous can get you!) I sat down to wait for my Tacos and snapped a few picts of the inside. The place is well kept, nice mural on the wall and even has a jukebox to bump some rancheras while you eat. My Tacos show up a few minutes later and I'm off. After going to pick up my daughter and driving home, I open up my plate to find that my Tacos are in perfect condition. No greasy wet mess, no soggy Tortillas..just warm Tacos waiting to get sexy for me. So I dress up my Tacos and dive right in. The Carne Asada was a lil fatty, but had a nice flavor. The lengua was cooked just right and also had a nice flavor. The price tag wasn't too bad...I paid $2.80 for that late night snack. I wish the Asada wasn't as fatty as it was, or I would recommend eating here. I would recommend this place after suggesting somewhere else first, but that just my opinion.


Tacos all dressed and ready to go.


the layout of the place, not bad.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bistro Beef said...

i have a little story about the whole Grullo/Grullense thing. Aparently back in the day 2 homies started this chain of tauquerias here in san jose. One of them last name was Grullo and the other was Grullense. Now Grullense was a dick he treated Grullo like a punk ass and never gave him respect. So Grullo started his own taquerias and gave them his name. You would see more Grullenses than Grullos because they would make more money. But Grullense was greedy and his greed got to him. The quality of his food went down, service went down. Taquerias started closing so Grullo came in bailed him out and bought the rest of Grullenses taqueria and just changed the name. So the better man won i guess. End of story. What was the moral of the story?

11:03 PM  
Blogger crispypatas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:16 PM  
Blogger crispypatas said...

bistro, is that true?

check this out...i found this article on google. its a pretty good read about the Grullense eating experience. The one that they are talking about used to be around the corner from my house. It was one of our spots when i was younger...the article was written in Oct, 1996...wow, 10 years later.

11:20 PM  
Blogger crispypatas said...

here's another interesting review i just found about El Grullense.

11:32 PM  
Blogger MITSY said...

Have you tried el Gallo Giro? On the East side? I haven't tried their tacos, but their tortas, ni se diga.

7:38 AM  
Blogger crispypatas said...

nah, where's Gallo Giro? is it near El Gallo on 24th? i was going to review the taqueria on the corner of 24th and William, next to El Gallo...is that it?


mmmm....tortas

11:15 AM  
Blogger Bistro Beef said...

Gallo Giro is located across the street from Mi Pueblo on story and king. There is a new shopping center with a Target very nice and clean. I ate there with my grandma one time before the blog started. Tacos were good but i think we need to review it officially.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Gallo is off the Hook! We went back their during Cinco de Mayo weekend.. Hella packed and busy.. it was loud.. 2 bit whities, an Asain and a Local (Ex So.Cal) Homie how spoken the language. We all charged in with your White shirts and ties and they starred us down like and started yelling some stuff (Probably "Why you brining us to fat white guys and a Asain in Spanish).. Tables were packed inside, we went outside as the weather was nice.. It was less then $40 for a ton of food. We got the family platter and it came with 40 tortilla's.. It's off the hook.

We asked our homie to go back their today and he said "Na, I can't go there anymore with you dudes".. Hell with it, i'am heading back there this week.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home